- Just a few days after Korina Sanchez drew the ire of netizens over on-air criticism of CNN’s Anderson Cooper, another top ABS-CBN news anchor is being castigated for a comment on his morning radio show where he apparently ridiculed PAGASA about its knowledge of storm surges.In his commentary, Ted Failon used his signature parody in dealing with the issue on air in his popular morning radio program on dzMM. With canned laughter in the background, Failon talked trash about PAGASA’s ability in responding to storm surges. Illustrating this, he mentioned PAGASA even failed to save the life of its own employee when the storm surge leveled its station on the Tacloban coast.While Failon might have a point in charging PAGASA for its unpreparedness and ineptitude in an area it should have deep expertise and knowledge in, making the issue laughable and worse, at the expense of a poor casualty in the devastation shows Failon’s insensitivity and callousness at a time when Yolanda victims areRead More »from When Ted talks trash
- Gerry Plaza | omg! Philippines News Blog – Mon, Nov 18, 2013 10:25 AM PHT(UPDATE) Talks were swirling over the weekend that Korina Sanchez was suspended for a week on her daily newscast TV Patrol.Indeed, she was noticeably absent from the primetime news program since Thursday, Nov. 14. Her last appearance on the newscast was when she reported live from Ormoc City to check on relief efforts.All of these stemmed from Korina’s criticism of CNN journalist Anderson Cooper about his on-air report that there’s “no government presence” in Tacloban City, Leyte and other Yolanda-hit areas. She lambasted Cooper over the report saying, he “doesn’t know where he speaks of.”She was in Ormoc obviously to respond to Cooper’s dare that she visit Tacloban to assess the situation herself and that she could easily do it being the “Interior Minister’s wife.” Cooper’s challenge came as his response to Korina’s brickbats. Of course, Cooper’s CNN desk defended its prized expert journo in disaster-stricken locations calling Korina’s observations “inaccurate” and “bizarre.”NoRead More »from (UPDATE) Korina’s ‘suspension’ puts spotlight on ABS-CBN
It's quite possible you have heard the song on pop stations. If you missed the title (why don’t most pop stations announce artists and song titles anymore?), you may have seen the video on MYX.
The song is called "Hintayin" and Jay R, garbed in military gear, makes a cameo in which he neither sings nor busts out his signature dance movies. In fact, he acts mean in the video in stark contrast to the mellowness of the song.
Is the local Prince of R&B changing stripes?
Mostly in the family
Not exactly. His cameo in camouflage is an extension of his duties as producer for the pop-rock band Kley, featuring his niece Deejay Poblete on vocals.
Kley recently released their 12-track—15 if you include three brief interstitials—self-titled album and launched the video for "Hintayin" in Off The Grill along Timog in Quezon City.
Most of the songs in the album were written by the band's acoustic guitarist Noah Zuñiga. The catchy first single (and video) "Tsismosa" is only a hint of Zuñiga's hooky Read More »from Jay R molds Kley
- Yugel Losorata | omg! Philippines News Blog – Thu, Oct 24, 2013 2:53 PM PHT
A four-song set seems too short a gig. But Gin Blossoms proved otherwise, having delivered a solid line-up of hit songs that sealed their fate as one of the quintessential bands of the ‘90s.
Last Tuesday, October 22, the American pop rock band gave fans gathered at the Eastwood Mall Open Park in Libis, Quezon City an arsenal of familiar songs in unplugged version. The band featured the trio of lead vocalist Robin Wilson and guitarists Jesse Valenzuela and Scott Johnson.
The band made their mall appearance one night after they performed at the Araneta Coliseum with two other '90s bands: Sugar Ray and Smash Mouth.
Band was cheerful
While the concert seemed plagued with problems, Gin Blossoms looked cheerful as they
appeared on that mall stage with just a couple of acoustic guitars, a tambourine and harmonica, which Robin worked occasionally.
The set had a rousing start with "Follow You Down," a top 10 Billboard Hot 100 hit from their second album "Congratulations I'm Sorry" released in 1996.
Read More »from Catching Gin Blossoms' unplugged gig at a Quezon City mall
- Gerry Plaza | omg! Philippines News Blog – Sat, Oct 19, 2013 12:51 PM PHTVariety Magazine has announced that major Hollywood studio Universal Pictures has picked up Erik Matti’s On the Job for a major US production.According to the report, Universal has optioned exclusive rights to the Filipino film, originally produced by Star Cinema and Reality Entertainment, and tapped Icelandic filmmaker Baltasar Kormakur to write and direct the Hollywood remake. Kormakur, who is also an actor and film producer, is famous for directing the 2012 film Contraband, which was also a remake of Oskar Johansson's Reykjavik- Rotterdam, that topped the US box office in January of that year, and the hit action comedy 2 Guns this year.Variety also said that top Hollywood producer Scott Stuber, who owns the Universal-bannered Bluegrass Films, will oversee the production with Nick Nesbitt, who acquired the film for the company.Stuber is known as executive producer of the comedy The Internship starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, and producer of Identity Thief, starringRead More »from Universal Pictures acquires rights to ‘On the Job’
- Gerry Plaza | omg! Philippines News Blog – Fri, Oct 18, 2013 1:11 PM PHTI’ve always admired the Megastar.Even before her cinematic reign, I was a rabid Sharonian: watching all her movies and buying all her long-playing albums, awed by her prettiness and talent for someone so very young.More than three decades after I literally swooned over her every appearance in variety shows or films, I remain her constant follower—supporting her throughout her personal and professional journeys that saw her always emerge victorious in the end.Beyond excitedYou can’t imagine my elation when TV5 announced Sharon Cuneta would appear in her first teleserye. I was beyond excited. This would be the the first time Sharon would make a daily appearance on a primetime show.I was also aware that expectations would go through the roof, particularly on the show’s story and concept, production design, direction and supporting cast.Will TV5 produce a worthy show for Sharon’s career milestone?So far, so goodSo far, what’s been announced has been delightful andRead More »from The Megastar does a swell job in her landmark teleserye
Former Imago vocalist Aia de Leon is not in the least worried about her future after making perhaps two of her biggest career decisions this year.
If anything, they revitalized her as an artist in a way she never expected.
Last summer, we heard that she had left Imago, the band she fronted for 14 years and gave us the hit “Tara Lets.”
Then, mid-year she joined the singing competition “The Voice of the Philippines,” where, to the shock of many, none of the judges turned their chairs around to applaud her in.
So what’s next for Aia after what may seem like a dispiriting stretch?
A humbling experience
“I’m still grateful I did that. The experience humbled me and at the same time gave me confidence,” she told Yahoo! Philippines OMG! about her decision to audition for “The Voice.”
The competition was won by Mitoy Yonting, who, like Aia, was an experienced band singer prior to courting judges Lea Salonga, Bamboo, Sarah Geronimo, and apl.de.ap into liking his voice.
Her bid never even got aRead More »from Aia de Leon: ‘Don’t be afraid to make mistakes’
- Indeed, it’s nearly a decade and a half since it was cancelled.But the zany comedy “Palibhasa Lalake” might be set for a retelling.And, it seems ABS-CBN is taking yeeeaaarrsss to cotton on to this idea.And the stars re-convergedWhen Joey Marquez made the first trip back to the Kapamilya network two years back, everyone turned curious when Richard Gomez also returned. Joey and Richard jumped ship from ABS-CBN to rival GMA Network in the late nineties after “Palibhasa” was zapped off the air in 1998.With John Estrada already in ABS-CBN, having all three “Palibahasa” mainstays in one network created a small buzz that a reunion was in the works.But nothing transpired.Separate showbiz gigs remained separateJoey kept his known job as a showbiz talk show host while Richard appeared in teleseryes.But with the celebration of ABS-CBN’s 60th year, the idea of a revival seemed worth a revisit as, curiously, two more notable members—both prominent talents of ABS-CBN’s rivalRead More »from Time for this LOL-worthy revival?
- When I heard a British filmmaker had helmed a movie called “Metro Manila,” I was again elated that international cinema has recognized the country and its capital as a worthy topic once more.It was even more than just delving on the topic.Director Sean Ellis even dived into the abyss, revealing truths that devour its setting, taking the cudgels from cash-strapped local producers, who would rather look at Christmas time for a killing.It was definitely a noteworthy take on the woes that force a family from the hinterlands to find its fortunes in the bustling metropolis, where the members’ lives are changed forever.Indeed, “Metro Manila” so truthfully depicts the toils we all share and the struggles we fight each day, and the piece that became the toast of the British is now the United Kingdom’s official entry to the Foreign Language Film category in the 2014 Academy Awards. As such, even in Ellis’Read More »from An Englishman’s ‘Metro Manila’
- You could feel it when they entered the room.It was inexplicable. Both had that individual aura that most certainly draws attention like any other celebrity. But it is their oneness as a couple that made everyone in the room ignite with a thrill.In Sara Black's Makati studio, where we did a photo shoot for the events magazine Gala, only a few who were updated with the “latest chika” knew they were an item. But, with the way they looked and glanced at each other, even while both were doing completely separate things, just really gave them away to the uninitiated.Meant for each otherThat is, award-winning actor Jericho Rosales and fashion stylist-TV host Kim Jones were really “meant for each other.”True enough, only a few weeks after that shoot, Jericho popped the question to Kim in a church service. And now, their engagement, as Jericho noted, will lead to both walking down the aisle in the early half of next year.Read More »from The love that Jericho and Kim share