40,000 evacuated as typhoon hits Philippines

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Typhoon "Pablo" (international codename: Bopha) smashed into the southern Philippines early today as more than 40,000 people crammed into shelters to escape the onslaught of the strongest cyclone to hit the country this year.

At 4:00am today, Pablo's centre was estimated based on satellite and surface data at 40 kilometres east of the eastern coast of Davao Oriental, raking across the island of 10 million people, packing maximum sustained winds of 175 kilometres per hour and gusts of up to 210 (130 miles) kph and bringing heavy rain, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said.

The typhoon was forecast to move west-northwest at 26 kph, Pagasa added.

Public Storm Warning Signal No. 3 was raised over Southern Leyte, Bohol, Negros Oriental, Siquijor, Southern Cebu, Surigao del Norte incl. Siargao, Surigao del Sur, Dinagat Province, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Misamis Oriental, Camiguin, Bukidnon, Davao Oriental, Compostela Valley, North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur, Lanao del Norte Misamis Occidental, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur and Davao del Norte including Samal Island.

Signal No. 2 was raised in Iloilo, Guimaras, Capiz, Leyte including Biliran, Negros Occidental, rest of Cebu including Camotes Island, Davao del Sur, Sultan Kudarat, Zamboanga Sibugay and Maguindanao.

Meanwhile, Palawan including the Calamian Group of Islands, Ticao Island, Masbate, Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, Western Samar, Aklan, Antique, Basilan, Sarangani and South Cotabato were placed under Signal No. 1.

Pagasa warned residents living in low lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signals against possible flashfloods and landslides.

Likewise, those living in coastal areas under Signal No. 2 and Signal No. 3 are alerted of possible storm surges particulary those living in the coastal areas of Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Dinagat, Bohol and Leyte provinces where 3-6 meters wave height is expected.

The weather bureau advised fishing boats and other sea vessels not to venture out into the eastern seaboards of Visayas and Mindanao.

According to Pagasa, Typhoon Pablo is expected to be at 180 km southwest of Roxas City by Wednesday morning. By Thursday morning, it will be at 230 km northwest of Puerto Princesa City and 780 km west of Metro Manila by Friday morning.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or serious damage but Mindanao was in lockdown with residents of coastal and flood-prone areas moving into shelters as floods hit some areas.

Aviation and shipping were suspended, with 80 flights grounded and thousands of ferry passengers stranded at ports as the coastguard ordered vessels to stay in port, the civil defence office said.

More than 41,000 people had moved into nearly 1,000 government shelters across the island by early Tuesday, it said in its latest bulletin.

The commercial centre of Cagayan de Oro, one of Mindanao's largest cities, was hit by flooding as rivers overflowed following heavy rain.

School holidays were declared in Mindanao and large areas of the central Philippines.

President Benigno Aquino III led calls for evacuations on Monday, saying: "(Bopha's) destructive potential is no laughing matter. It is expected to be the strongest typhoon to hit our country in 2012."

The Philippines is battered by about 20 typhoons a year, some of them destructive. Bopha is the sixteenth so far this year.

In August, nearly 100 people were killed and more than a million were displaced by heavy flooding caused by a series of storms.

Nineteen typhoons struck the country last year, of which 10 were destructive, leading to more than 1,500 deaths and affecting nearly 10 per cent of the total population, according to the government.

COPYRIGHT: ASIA NEWS NETWORK

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • U.S. deejay Kasem's widow will not face criminal charges

    (Reuters) - The widow of American radio personality Casey Kasem will not face criminal charges in connexion with his death, prosecutors said on Friday, despite allegations of abuse from three of his adult children. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said there was not enough evidence to charge 61-year-old Jean Kasem, the former "American Top 40" deejay's second wife, with his death last June. Kasem died in Washington state after suffering from Lewy Body disease, a form of …

  • 'Fuller House': Olsen Twins Out
    'Fuller House': Olsen Twins Out

    "Fuller House" just got a little less full. …

  • APNewsBreak: Casey Kasem's widow won't face criminal charges
    APNewsBreak: Casey Kasem's widow won't face criminal charges

    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles prosecutors said Friday they will not file elder abuse charges against Casey Kasem's widow. …

  • APNewsBreak: Los Angles prosecutors reject elder abuse case against Casey Kasem's widow

    LOS ANGELES (AP) — APNewsBreak: Los Angles prosecutors reject elder abuse case against Casey Kasem's widow. …

  • Unpublished Orson Welles draft memoir obtained by university
    Unpublished Orson Welles draft memoir obtained by university

    ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — The University of Michigan says a "very raw draft" of an unpublished Orson Welles memoir has joined its archives on the trailblazing filmmaker. …

  • TLC pulls Duggar family series amid misconduct reports
    TLC pulls Duggar family series amid misconduct reports

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — TLC pulled the reality series "19 Kids and Counting" from its schedule on Friday, a move that follows reports of sexual misconduct allegations against one of the stars, Josh Duggar, stemming from when he was a juvenile. …

  • Oregon governor expands drought emergency zone, says water shortages imminent

    By Shelby Sebens PORTLAND, Ore. (Reuters) - Oregon Governor Kate Brown expanded the state's drought emergency to eight more counties on Friday amid a devastating West Coast drought and warned that water shortages could be imminent and a tough fire season may be ahead. The declaration comes after the governor of neighbouring Washington state, Jay Inslee, declared a statewide drought emergency there last week, saying drought conditions due to a lack of snowpack there were some of the worst on …

  • TLC pulls '19 Kids and Counting' after molestation reports
    TLC pulls '19 Kids and Counting' after molestation reports

    By Daina Beth Solomon LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. cable network TLC said on Friday it has pulled all episodes of "19 Kids and Counting," its top-rated television reality show featuring a large Christian family, after reports surfaced that the eldest son had molested underage girls as a teen. Josh Duggar, 27, the son, issued an apology Thursday, acknowledging "wrongdoing," but did not directly address allegations reported by In Touch magazine and other websites. "We are deeply saddened and …

  • Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Celebrity News - Fri, Feb 20, 2015 1:47 AM PHT
    Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Beyonce’s #Flawless image is embroiled in controversy once again. On Wednesday, a web site called The Beyonce World leaked 224 allegedly raw photos of the musician. The images showed Bey in full makeup for the 2013 L’Oreal ad campaign — but with the kinds of “imperfections” we all have — beauty marks, bumps, creases. In the wake of Cindy Crawford’s unretouched photos, the images have been praised by critics of a beauty industry that sets impossibly high standards, standards that Queen Bey …

  • Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    omg - Sat, Feb 14, 2015 12:14 AM PHT
    Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    The 25-year-old released the video for her third cut from platinum selling album 1989. …

  • My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    Write Away - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 2:29 PM PHT
    My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    For my mother-in-law Mrs. Elsa Yrastorza Yuzon, flying and soaring in the skies is part of her normal routine. But it reached new heights when Pope Francis boarded Shepherd One. …