Sharon Osbourne: I had double mastectomy

Sharon Osbourne has revealed that she had a double mastectomy as a precautionary measure.

The 60-year-old television personality battled colon cancer 10 years ago but when she found out that she had a gene which put her at a higher risk for developing breast cancer she took immediate action.

Sharon opened up to Hello! magazine about her brave decision.

“As soon as I found out I had the breast cancer gene, I thought, ‘The odds are not in my favor,’” she told the publication.

“I’ve had cancer before and I didn’t want to live under that cloud. I decided to just take everything off, and had a double mastectomy.”

Sharon, who is mother to Jack and Kelly Osbourne and welcomed her first grandchild earlier this year, added that it was not a difficult decision to undergo the procedure.

“For me, it wasn’t a big decision, it was a no-brainer,” she said candidly. “I didn’t want to live the rest of my life with that shadow hanging over me. I want to be around for a long time and be a grandmother to Pearl.

“I didn’t even think of my breasts in a nostalgic way, I just wanted to be able to live my life without that fear all the time.”

© Cover Media
Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Schwarzenegger's back for high-octane 'Terminator: Genisys'
    Schwarzenegger's back for high-octane 'Terminator: Genisys'

    LOS ANGELES (AP) — As promised, the Terminator and the man who originated the steely machine — Arnold Schwarzenegger — are back this summer for another go in "Terminator: Genisys," and Paramount Pictures, eager for a blockbuster, has already fired up a machine of its own — the publicity kind. …

  • Oscars producers out after three years and a TV ratings drop
    Oscars producers out after three years and a TV ratings drop

    Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the producers behind the last three Academy Awards telecasts, will not be returning for next year's Oscars, the ceremony organizers said on Thursday. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which hosts Hollywood's biggest night each year, declined to say why Zadan and Meron were not invited back. Their departure comes after the television audience for the 2015 show dropped 16 percent from the previous year and first-time host Neil Patrick Harris received …

  • Hollywood golden age actress Sally Forrest dies at 86

    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sally Forrest, an actress-dancer who graced the silver screen throughout the '40s and '50s in MGM musicals and films such as the 1956 noir "While the City Sleeps," died on March 15 at her home in Beverly Hills, California. She was 86 and had long battled cancer. …

  • Mexico City businesses cite losses during Bond filming

    MEXICO CITY (AP) — The leader of small businesses in Mexico City's historic downtown district says owners have complained of a 60 percent drop in sales during the first week of filming of the new James Bond movie, "Spectre." …

  • Obama talks drug war with 'The Wire' creator David Simon

    WASHINGTON (AP) — Talk of overhauling the criminal justice system is serious business — but before diving into the subject, President Barack Obama had something else he wanted to say. …

  • Talent agency wants Matt McConaughey speaking fee secret

    HOUSTON (AP) — A celebrity booking agency has told the Texas attorney general's office it is not all right, all right, all right to make public how much the University of Houston is paying actor Matthew McConaughey to speak at the school's May 15 commencement ceremony. …

  • Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark'
    Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark'

    NEW YORK (AP) — Larry David will hand over his starring role on Broadway to an old "Seinfeld" pal — Jason Alexander. …

  • Final curtain for 'Downton Abbey' after Season 6
    Final curtain for 'Downton Abbey' after Season 6

    By Michael Roddy LONDON (Reuters) - The hugely successful British period drama "Downton Abbey" will wind up after the sixth season, its executive producer said on Thursday, but a possible movie version cannot be ruled out. "There's so many different explanations" for the decision, Gareth Neame said in a conference call with reporters. "I think our feeling is that it's good to quit while you're ahead." Creator Julian Fellowes, the sole writer of the drama about an aristocratic British …

  • Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Celebrity News - Fri, Feb 20, 2015 1:47 AM PHT
    Beyonce's unretouched L'Oreal photos only latest in her long history of Photoshop controvers …

    Beyonce’s #Flawless image is embroiled in controversy once again. On Wednesday, a web site called The Beyonce World leaked 224 allegedly raw photos of the musician. The images showed Bey in full makeup for the 2013 L’Oreal ad campaign — but with the kinds of “imperfections” we all have — beauty marks, bumps, creases. In the wake of Cindy Crawford’s unretouched photos, the images have been praised by critics of a beauty industry that sets impossibly high standards, standards that Queen Bey …

  • Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    omg - Sat, Feb 14, 2015 12:14 AM PHT
    Taylor Swift reveals ‘Style’ video

    The 25-year-old released the video for her third cut from platinum selling album 1989. …

  • My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    Write Away - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 2:29 PM PHT
    My mother-in-law’s personal encounter with the pope

    For my mother-in-law Mrs. Elsa Yrastorza Yuzon, flying and soaring in the skies is part of her normal routine. But it reached new heights when Pope Francis boarded Shepherd One. …